This time two years ago, we were just returning from a whirlwind trip to Barbados with several good friends. It feels like ages since I’ve seen the ocean and I am once again mesmerized by the crystal blue waters of this island.
Some Trip Highlights:
- Swimming with the turtles! These creatures were so amazing to see up close as they gracefully glided through the water.
- Sampling the local fish cuisine at Cuz’s (see Tripadvisor review).
- Eating at The Tides restaurant. James and I were seated in the Red Tile Room… and yes, the view on their website is 100% accurate. Gorgeous food in a gorgeous setting.
- Building a giant sand sea turtle on the beach!
- Observing my husband figure out a way to practice “surfing” when the hotel refused to lend their out their water equipment. (The yellow advisory flag was posted on the beach indicating harsh waves.) James simply walked over to the nearest lifeguard station and asked them if they had any boogie boards they could use instead. To this day, I can’t imagine how tired they must have been after braving the pounding waves over and over.
- … AND, celebrating the engagement of 2 of our friends.
I also won’t forget almost missing our connecting flight back home because of the incredible wait at customs through Miami. The lines were just insane- it took us a little over 1.5 hours to clear this hurdle. Our agent told us that they were in the process of expanding their number of stations from 40ish to 80. Hopefully, by now, all of this construction is completed.
Thoughts on Our Accommodations
The Hilton located on the peninsula of Needham’s Point
- 3/5 Stars
- Positives: Beautiful grounds and pool. The grounds also encompass an area called the Charles Fort Cannon Walk. With the gorgeous blue ocean as a backdrop, this reconstructed historical area was absolutely stunning. Lots of striking photo opportunities!
- Negatives: The ocean was constantly churning in this location despite the presence of wave breakers. This reality made it very difficult to take a leisurely swim. I wasn’t impressed with our actual room considering the price tag (… and I distinctly remember it being humid.)
- Overall: Probably wouldn’t stay here again. I would try booking somewhere on the western coast.